- Who we are
- How we collect information about you
- Information we collect and why we use it
- Legal basis for using your information
- Sharing your Information
- Keeping your information safe
- How long we hold your information for
- Your rights
Who we are
2 How we collect information about you
Our aim is support medical professionals through distant Reiki and, where permission is given, to gather MYMOP-based survey data on its effects to inform future directions for research, so we need to collect certain data from those who receive Reiki and those who provide it. We also want to ensure that you receive the communications that are most relevant to you: whether that is being kept informed via electronic means (e.g. email, phone calls, text, messaging Apps), visiting our website, donating time or funds to the project or funding charities, receiving distant Reiki or giving distant Reiki.
We collect information from you in the following ways:
- When you interact with us directly: This could be if you ask us about our activities, register with us to receive distant Reiki or give distant Reiki, attend an online event, make a donation to us, ask a question about our work, apply for a volunteering opportunity or otherwise provide us with your personal information. This includes when you email, text or contact us via messaging Apps, phone us, visit our website, donate to us or get in touch through the post, or in person.
When you interact with us through third parties: This could be if you provide a donation through a third party such as JustGiving, TotalGiving or Virgin Money Giving, or with an online entry organisation such as Eventbrite, where you provide consent for your personal information to be shared with our funding charitable company, Reiki Healthcare Research Trust (RHRT), Registered company limited by guarantee, England & Wales (1268574). Registered Office: 108 Augustus Road, London SW19 6ER, England, UK.
- for example for the purposes of attending an event in person or online and for Gift Aid (through RHRT).
3 Information we collect and why we use it
Personal information we collect includes details such as your name, date of birth, email address, phone number, App identifying handle as well as information you provide in any communications between us. You will have given us this information while registering on the site to receive distant Reiki or give distant Reiki, making a donation, registering for an event, or any of the other ways to interact with us.
We will mainly use this information:
- To process your requests for distant Reiki, to enable you to volunteer to send distant Reiki, to process your donations or other payments, to claim Gift Aid (through RHRT) on your donations and verify any financial transactions, to provide the services or goods that you have requested, to update you with important administrative messages about the status of your request for Reiki or registration as a volunteer to send distant Reiki, to request feedback, about a donation, an event or services or goods you have requested, to keep you updated about our activities.
- The RHRT, which is the funding charity for Reiki Medic-Care, would also comply with the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Act 2016 and follow the recommendations of the official regulator of charities, the Charity Commission, which requires organisations to identify and verify the identity of supporters who make major gifts to assess any risks associated with accepting their donations.
- To keep a record of your relationship with us. Where you volunteer with us this will be to administer the volunteering arrangement and keep you informed. Where you request remotely transmitted Reiki, it will be to update your requests or communicate with you as necessary.
- If you do not provide this information, we will not be able to offer you distant Reiki, or accept your registration as a volunteer to send distant Reiki, process donations, sign you up for particular events or provide goods and services you have requested. We may also use your personal information: To contact you about our work and how you can support us and our funding charity, RHRT (see section 5 on ‘Marketing’ ). To invite you to participate in surveys or research. To invite you to participate in fundraising and awareness raising of the service, RHRT or other related charities or organisations.
- A special note about the Sensitive Personal Information we hold: GDPR Legislation recognises that some categories of personal information are more sensitive. We will only use this information for the purposes of sending you distant Reiki or evaluating the services we provide whether as a recipient or as distant Reiki volunteer. We will not pass on your details to anyone else. Where you have given us your express consent or otherwise clearly indicated to us (for example, by filming or writing a testimonial or quote) that you are happy for us to share your story, then we may include it on our website, on our blog, any podcast or in other media.
4. Legal basis for using your information
We will only use your personal information where we have your consent or because we need to use it in order to fulfil a contract with you (for example, because you have asked us to send you distant Reiki or registered as a distant Reiki volunteer.
We will only contact you about our work and how you can support Reiki Medic-Care or RHRT by phone, email or text/messaging App or similar, if you have agreed for us to contact you in this way. You can update your choices or stop us sending you communications at any time by email or by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the relevant communication.
6. Sharing your Information
The personal information we collect about you will mainly be used by our administrators/volunteers so they can support medical professionals and the service provided by distant Reiki volunteers and deal with queries arising from the distant Reiki volunteers. We will never sell your personal information to or share it with any other organisation.
7. Keeping your information safe
We take looking after your information very seriously. We’ve implemented appropriate physical, technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and off-line, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
8. How long we hold your information for
We only keep information for as long as is reasonable and necessary for the relevant activity: which may be to fulfil statutory obligations (for example, the collection of Gift Aid), or for the collection of anonymised data, for example to suggest directions for research. If you have signed up to receive Reiki from one of our teams at any point, we will hold your personal information as part of your account for a maximum of seven years following inactivity as part of insurance requirements. If you wish to receive Reiki after this period of inactivity you will need to create a new log-in. If you are part of a team sending remote Reiki then information will be retained as long as you are part of the project and for a maximum of five years after you leave the project and in case you wish to return to the project within that time. After seven years of inactivity your data will be removed. If you have signed up for our news updates, we will keep you subscribed unless you choose to unsubscribe and/or your email ceases to work.
9. Your rights
You have various rights in respect of the personal information we hold about you and these are set out in more detail below. If you wish to exercise any of these rights or make a complaint, you can do so by contacting our Data Protection Officer at International House, 64 Nile Street, London N1 7SR United Kingdom: by email or by telephone
You can also make a complaint to the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk.
Access to your personal information: You have the right to request access to a copy of the personal information that we hold about you, along with information on what personal information we use, why we use it, and how long we keep it for. You can make a request for access free of charge. Please make all requests for access in writing to the address above, and provide us with evidence of your identity.
Consent: If you have given us your consent to use personal information (for example, for marketing), you can withdraw your consent at any time.
Rectification: You can ask us to change or complete any inaccurate or incomplete personal information held about you.
Erasure: You can ask us to delete your personal information where it is no longer necessary for us to use it, or you have withdrawn consent.
Restriction: You can ask us to restrict the personal information we use about you where you have asked for it to be erased.